[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 20:32:12 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Stacy E. Dickey
<medievalbelle at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Helene,
>    Well said.  I do wish to add, though, how important it is for we fighters types to educate ourselves on the dangers of heat injuries.  I've watched some of the strongest, healthiest, and most vital warriors go down from heat stroke within 20 minutes from the start of a road march in the heat.  Its a common belief the stages of heat injuries begin small and can end large, in that order... ie, from heat cramps to heat exhaustion, to heat stroke.  But the truth is there's no rule it has to be in that order... heat stroke can appear without warning and kill almost as fast.  I can't tell you how grateful that wasn't the case with my brother, Sir Tomas.
>    My ACH off to our chirurgiens and water bearers of Ansteorra.  Keep an eye on each other, fellow fighters... that too can save a life.
>

> Pour Dieu, le roi, et le pays…
> Mme. Colète d'Évreux  /  "Doc" DickeySquire to Earl Duncan the BlackUS Army, 68W- Combat MedicOEF, Laghman Province

Colete,

Excellent point.  Also, resistance to heat injury is cumulative, as is
susceptibility.  Being in overall good health, well-hydrated over the
long-term, eating well and being emotionally balanced will help stave
off heat injuries.  All too often, we forget to keep ourselves in
fighting trim until the day before a big tourney or fight.  That's
dangerous.

Stay safe out there, my sister-in-arms, and thank you for what you do.

Helene

--
I've asked forgiveness from the Lord, now take my soul, and bring my sword.