[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon Jul 12 09:19:14 PDT 2010

As a Chirurgeon and Kingdom Chirurgeon in the past, I have had to deal with
this. We *always* came down on the side of the fighter's choice. We might
offer advice based on our knowledge of first aid and the fighter's symptoms,
but he/she gets to decide. If we believed he/she was unsafe to others or not
coherent enough to make a decision we would mention that to the Marshal in
Charge and let them discuss it with the fighter, the Crown, or whomever they
believe needs to be involved, but we *never* told anyone they could not
fight.

Our society used to be (and mostly still is) based on each person taking
responsibility for his or her own actions and health. We should only
frustrate that when the person is obviously not able to make decisions and
when that happens we should probably be calling 911 and letting the
professionals help that person.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede