[Ansteorra] Duke Deaton Claymore Auction

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 08:56:06 PDT 2010

Salut cozyns,

I met Duke Deaton Claymore once, at an Estrella War many years ago. At the time, I was one of several young squires of Duke Brion Tarragon. Duke Deaton, said Duke Brion, was what we all wanted to aspire to, and His Grace certainly did look the very visage of ageless power. I heard tales of him pummeling foes to dust with a great sword, his hand protected by no more than simple leather gloves. I remember His Grace's stance as he stood watch over the Silver Dollar Tourney. The other dukes in the tourney looked like children beside Duke Deaton. Since that day, I have judged every duke I've met or seen against the grand stature of Duke Deaton Claymore: do they have the stance? do they radiate that same silent power? are they inveterate commanders without even speaking?

I was shocked to hear that His Grace had suffered a stroke. I hope the neurological damage was not too severe. I would pray, "Stand strong, Your Grace," but that would be like speaking thus to iron.

The following is forwarded in the interest of Duke Deaton and His Grace's lady Duchess Katerina.

En Lyonel