[Ansteorra] Leather Working Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 4 23:41:01 PDT 2010

On Jun 4, 2010, at 8:13 PM, Adam Edwards wrote:

> Quick question about tooling leather.
> Are there any patterns particular to time and place that have been documented?  1350s Welsh is my chosen period but anything remotely close would be great.  Otherwise I'm just going to go with Images and patterns that have meaning for me.  More specifically I'm looking to make another set of armor that is tooled leather over kydex and just thought it'd be nice to go with something period if such a thing exists.
>
> WP

You are talking about designs being stamped or cut into leather, correct? Not a pattern such as a clothing pattern used to cut out the outline or pieces of something.

I believe different regions and time periods would have different styles of stamping and cutting and some might be painted afterwards and others, not.

You might check these files in the CRAFTS section of the Florilegium, but I'm afraid I can't remember right now if there is information specific to that time and culture. But mentions of references to that kind of information is something I try to save when I come across it.

lea-tooling-msg (55K) 6/26/05 Leather tooling. decorating leather.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/lea-tooling-msg.html
leather-bib (18K) 11/ 1/94 Bibliography on leather and leather goods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/leather-bib.html
leather2-bib (9K) 6/11/99 Leather bibliography by Vilyehm the Merchant
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/leather2-bib.html

And of course, if you come across some good books or references I don't have, I'd love to get a message from you that I can then add to the appropriate file for others to use in the future.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com