[Ansteorra] Leather Working Question

Jasper captain_jasperc at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 10:47:12 PDT 2010

If you want to know about patterns of tooling, as far as I know there are very few surviving examples from the archaeological record of actual leather having been "tooled" or embossed. I have included a pic from the British museum of a find near London. They claim it is the only surviving example but I am bet there are others. This upper arm defense is from the 14th century and would have been worn with a mix of maille and possibly a coat of plates. Tooling in period I think would have been more along these lines (floral patterns, knot work and the like) depending on the locale and time period. Osprey Men at Arms books like Scottish and Welsh Wars 1250-1400 and Gallowglass 1250-1600 might give you an idea of where to take your kit. If you are going period I would stay away from bright colors, use naturals like light and dark browns. Period illuminations are also a good source for armor and kit ideas. Just my two schillings...

Jasper C.
Leather Guru