[Ansteorra] sharing tales of past Gulf Wars for newer people

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Sun Mar 14 12:45:41 PDT 2010

Duchess Willow wrote:

>I had them gather and I told stories of Asgard for the whole night. I felt in my persona even with all the cars and plastic things. It was a lot of fun.

Exactly.  There has never been and will never be a moment in the SCA with no modern item in sight, which somebody can choose to focus on.  It's important to cover as much modernity as possible, and to make period-looking things as well.  But these can't bring somebody into persona who is focused on the modern, and the modern things cannot force somebody out of persona who is focused on the period.

So the absolutely crucial skill in creating and holding a persona is willing suspension of disbelief.

The greatest, most deeply felt moment I've ever had was when a Queen treated me, a newcomer, as a lord in her court.  I know, because I've been to that site many times, that there was a swingset behind her and a baseball backstop to her right.  But I simply didn't notice those things, because at that moment she was a queen honoring a young lord in the tournament.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin