[Ansteorra] ASL at Court

Kaitlan Roisendubh kaitlan_kiera at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 08:19:49 PST 2010

I know that many people think the "official" interpreters must say what the person they are interpreting for.  I have known many people that work with my son that do that wonderfully.  The only thing they do is put the word order differently, that is ASL.  If someone other than "official" trained interpreters are doing the talking they do try to work that way as well.

If you would like to learn ASL contact your local college or adult ed class (that is where I learned in Adult Ed).  The classes there are inexpensive where as the college is a lot more in cost.

Lady Kaitlan

As history is being made we must always remember to look at the past for the past one day will return to be our future.  Learn from the past and embrace it for everything old returns to be new again.

From: sirburke at cox.net <sirburke at cox.net>
This issue comes up from time to time and while it is a nice idea (yes it is hard to hear in court some of the time, that is why some people sit up front) it concerns me that people will begin to expect that every court will have an ASL person at it.  The cost of such a thing, as well as the logistics, would be impossible.  The SCA just does not have the resources to provide this.  We also have to be concerned that if we start requiring this we will have to make sure the people are certified and know ASL.  It would not due to have the King say one thing and have the interpreter sign something else by accident.  Groups right now can arrange for ASL people if they want on an optional basis, but lets just be careful on how much farther we want to go.

Sir Burke