[Ansteorra] Fw: award regalia pics ? take 2

Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyyah zubeydah at gmail.com
Mon May 17 09:37:16 PDT 2010

Arthur:

I'm glad you enjoyed the Insignia gallery and the scribal website; it's
something I'm very proud of. :)  I am NOT a herald - but I hope I can answer
your questions.

You asked, "but there are several that say "Blazon: None Registered. "  does
that mean that nobody has bothered to registered a device for those
awards? if so, who would be in charge of doing so ? how would they begin ?"

There's three elements here:

The Emblazon - the pictorial "heraldry" (if you will) of the award, if any.
The Blazon - the descriptive phrase in heraldese that describes the emblazon
The Insignia - the physical form that the award's representation takes.
Sometimes it's the Emblazon of the order in some form - a pin, a medallion,
etc.  Sometimes, it's an object that symbolizes it -- Like a knight's belt
or chain for the Chivalry, a white length of fabric for the White Scarf, or
the black and gold cord that's worn by the Sable Falcons

Just to make it complicated, there ARE awards - for example, the Iris or
Merit and the Star of Merit or the Centurions - that have BOTH a specific
Emblazon and a specific Insignia.

Whether or not the award has an Emblazon or a specific Insignia is, I
believe, generally determined when the Crown creates the award and passes it
into Kingdom Law. They specify the Insignia - is it an emblazon in some
fashion? Is it another symbol, like a cord or a belt or a cloak? That's the
Crown's decision, in counsel with the Star Principal Herald (I think!).

You also asked, "anyway , as  a way to help everyone be informed , and
polite, in the section on " nobility " couldn't the heralds put pics, or
drawings of the apropriate " type " of brass hat that each may wear ? (
pointy? leafy?pearly, etc ) all i know is if its flat its normally a baron
or baroness , and if its nothing but gold, and a big black star you bow
extra low ; )"

In *very* general terms:

If it's flat on top -- Court or landed Barony
if it has crenelations on top -- Count or Countess
If it has strawberry leaves on top - Duke or Duchess

... and then, like the English language, we have exceptions!  There's
definitions in our Kingdom Law that allow for specific exceptions - and of
course, other kingdoms have sumptuary laws and exceptions, too!  Unless the
crown in question has the insignia / device of a kingdom on it, I generally
go with the flat / crenelations / leaves rule. If it doesn't match any of
those, I default to 'Your Grace' - it never hurts to be more polite than is
needed; folks generally are rather good about letting you know either way!

I hope that helps,

Zubeydah