[Ansteorra] Fw: award regalia pics ? take 2

Brian O'hUilliam brianoftheloch at gmail.com
Mon May 17 09:42:05 PDT 2010

Greetings,
  As I read your e-mail, there are two questions:
1) Why do some awards have no registered blazon?
2) How/Who do we get to register blazons for these awards?

  Question 1 can be complicated.  The short answer is either it hasn't been
registered YET or there is no need to register a badge.  With the
non-armigerous marshal awards (Falcon, Bridle, etc), I'm sure it is believed
that there is no need to register a badge.  We have award insignia for those
awards (braids) and that is all.  We cannot register those braids as badges
at the Society level.  Concerning Gloves and Gauntlets, it is a similar
situation.  The insignia is personal to the Crown.  There is a set standard
that the Crown typically modifies to fit their desire.  I know the Arc d'Or
has been working on submitting a badge, I do not know about the Golden
Lance.
  Question 2 is quite easy.  Talk to the Kingdom Heraldic officer, Star
Principal Herald, or the Crown.  It is ultimately the decision of the Crown
to register blazons and this duty is usually given to their appropriate
officer (Star Principal).  Remember, it is the Crown that makes awards & the
Crown that gives awards, so they have the say in what they give out.  That
is why they have officers to help them and the people of the Kingdom with
the many various aspects of the Society.
  I think it important to note that not every award NEEDS a badge.  It may
not be appropriate for every award to have a badge to be worn as a pin or
medallion, like the Falcon & Bridle or the Knights of the Sable Garland.
They have insignia and not badges.  Also, it was once explained to me that
Grant level awards in Ansteorra are really not meant to have the badges
displayed.  Those are mostly for the scrolls.  The INSIGNIA is the wearable
aspect of the award/order.  Sometimes, the insignia is the badge itself worn
as a pin or medallion, but it is not always, like with most of the Grant
level awards.

In Service,
Brian O'hUilliam