[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Roysen AriManna glassrose_95 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 08:46:59 PDT 2010

I have opted to chime in on this due to the fact that it relates, somewhat, to my pre-SCA life( this was over 13 years ago, I have only be around SCA for over 4 years or so).

Before I become aware of this group, I had friends who loved to dress up for ren faires.  They clarified to me that they were not part of a group called the SCA because they had encountered some SCAians that were so particular about things being "period correct".  Mind you these friends of mine had garb that would stand toe to toe with the best dressed at any of our events.

I later discovered that you strive to look as period as possible and hid as much mundane as you can.  This is the message I try to get out to those who show an interest in this group for which I am proud to be a part of.

All of this talk reminds me of the fact that when most of us were children watching Loony Tunes or The Three Stooges, we did not have a disclaimer of not to try this at home ( though some of us may have tried anyway).  We had enough common sense to understand what was right.

I prefer to resist the "legislation" due to the fact that, with out becoming a period nazi, we can encourage newcomers to develop a more period looking reality as they play.  We demonstrate our ability to work as a family by loaning what is needed and teaching how to make it for ones self, etc.  We all learn by example.  I have  the good fortune to deal with more helpful people in the SCA than stuck-up know-it-alls.  We do play nice together, many are considerate of others - whether it be smoking, period tents separate from non period tents, food issues, children, etc.

Bottom line, I like my family from way back when.

In Love & Light,  Arimanna
aka Paula