[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

uillecc uilliacc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 18:18:34 PDT 2010

Truth is we(at least most of us) do not really want to recreate life and
history as it truly was-- hard, filthy and brutal.  The concept of
Chivalry in the middle ages was only ever that, a concept, not an
enduring practice. Our concept of it more closely follows the fictional
models invented by Romanticist authors in the late 18th and early 19th
centuries.

That said, I'm convinced that playing in our dream world becomes much
richer when we know more, and look more like we really belong in it.

A lot of my primal family in the sca have been slowly growing into that
"More Historic" persona/kit as they grow and discover more about their
interest areas in their  historical niche...  They are motivated by
their own interests to dig deeper.  As many of them dig deeper they
create things or learn things that they pass on...  Many of these folks
do so without widespread notice beyond their shires and baronies. The
heart of Ansteorra lies somewhere in that. We could never obtain that by
passing laws...    If we want that to continue we have to grow it...

When you see that newbie who continues to stick around-- and you know
they're hooked, think about giving them something from your niche... As
a craftsman, it might be a simple but historic example of what you do...
As a bard or historian tell them a story or two or sing them a song
whenever you see them. If they're standing around at an event looking
for something to do--put them to work... Let them know that they've
found a home...  If they're Ansteorran they'll pick up on that and grow
into the same practice themselves.  We all know that-- sometimes we just
need to remind ourselves.

 From my observations at a growing number of wars, The kingdoms that are
actively restrictive, or run on to many mandates tend to grow very
little and interest me a lot less each year...  Lets Encourage our folks
with our warmth and help them grow, rather than Discourage our folks by
placing hurdles in their path.---

And if someones' something just so horrifies you to distraction from
your enjoying your part of our dream, give them something better to
replace it with...  They'll likely be thankful for your gift, and you'll
be able concentrate on better enjoying whatever it is you're looking for.

my two copper...
uillecc