[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

uillecc uilliacc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 17:28:29 PDT 2010

Respectfully,  Tivar, we've said the same thing--  This concept seems to
have probably began in France along with the notion of courtly love. It
was applied to an Idealized notion of 5th century England in medieval
literature-- and the main stories of which have been widely spread and
further embellished ever since.

Historically,

Edward I, who from many perspectives (Scots, Welsh, Irish) failed
horribly to come anywhere near a standard of Chivalry, tried to use the
popular mythology of Arthur to bolster and reinforce his image.  Later,
Henry VIII attempted the same...

Using either Longshanks or Henry VIII as a historical example of our
Chivalrous Ideal is a pretty long stretch-- both were very brutal and
ruthless, with little regard for ladies as anything more than
possessions....

I have no doubt that there were some Idealistic readers in the14th-15th
centuries who aspired to the concept, many young nobles were probably
raised on it (like was Washington's cherry tree). Still,  the historical
impact of it or  those individuals is difficult to document at best.
---The Real shining armor was made in Italy, quite expensive,  worn in
parades and rarely struck. Absolute power corrupts and so on.

With great respect,
uillecc