[Ansteorra] 1600?

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Fri Nov 5 10:43:01 PDT 2010

The problem with going to the corporate documents to determine a cut-off date is that the SCA game was not invented by the corporation, and they do not own it.  The corporation was founded afterwards as a support organization.

There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, agreement about the cut-off date.

If we ever decide to pick a single date, the best ending date for our period is April 23, 1616.  On this date, both Miguel Cervantes and William Shakespeare died, and we can confidently assume that the dream is over.

Note:  they died nine days apart, on the same date, by different calendars.  Now *that* is a creative anachronism.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

(For those who don't get the joke, no, I am *not* proposing a change in the SCA's period.  I would never make a real proposal on this electronic bull-session.  Those of you who think this disclaimer is unnecessary, keep watching.   Even with the disclaimer, somebody's going to take this seriously.)