[Ansteorra] Reviews of the new Known World Handbook?

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Sun Nov 7 16:50:07 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

> Since the new edition of the Known World Handbook has just been
> announced, I doubt that there's many people who have had a chance to
> see it yet.  But maybe someone on the list has, or was a proofreader
> for it.  Any reviews yet?

I got a chance to look through a copy at Coronation, and I must say that I
am fairly impressed, with just the brief glance I took at the various
articles.  (The only article I skim-read in its entirety was the one on
heraldry, go figure!)  There's instructions with pictures on easy-to-make
garb of a variety of period styles (basic t-tunic, slightly fancier t-tunic,
viking apron dress, a few others, hoods, etc). Many articles on different
A&S things, including one with sheet music for a few period songs. Stuff on
customs and overall basics, but most importantly I think it is very
carefully written to not be incorrect for any given kingdom, while still
remaining quite useful for both newcomers and long-term people alike.

Most interesting to me was the utter lack of any geography of the SCA. No
map of the knowne world, no listing of kingdoms, etc.  Will certainly keep
the handbook from becoming quickly obsolete as those sorts of things are
rather prone to change!

And the artwork throughout is fantastic.

All in all, I think it a significant improvement on the previous version,
which still holds a place on my bookshelf, but I will be ordering two copies
of the new one for myself, at least. One for me, one to lend to newcomers
without having to worry overly that it won't find its way back again.

-Emma