[Ansteorra] Ideas for gifts for Christmas

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 16:08:32 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM, SoldierGrrrl <soldier.grrrl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Bree Flowers <evethejust at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why are all the gift suggestions things you can purchase anyway? Are
>> we not a group that MAKES stuff? Given an evening to work and less
>> than $5 in materials I could make you some lovely trim worth far more
>> than $20.
>
> For me?  I have more money than I do time.  I would LOVE to make all
> my Christmas gifts, and I hope to make *some* this year, but honesty,
> I *like* having resources to spend my money and support others.   I
> don't think there's anything wrong with purchasing things, and don't
> want anyone to feel like their gifts might be thought of as lesser
> because they don't have the time or skill to make something.
>
> In service,
> Helene Dalassene
> Stronghold of Hellsgate

Helene,

If you have more money than time, I humbly submit that you'd still be
better off purchasing things from our artisans than wasting hours
combing through thrift stores in search of something that might simply
not be there. I've been to a lot of thrift stores over the years and
have only ever found one thing worth having (my sewing machine, and I
love it dearly, but that was one find in 2 decades of looking).

The suggestion to make something was simply to say "if you're on a
thrift store budget, you will get more bang for your buck if you make
something yourself".

Anyway, the thrust of my post was actually the bit about the lead and
non-food-safe vessels. Friends don't give friends lead :) Unless you
are 100% sure that the intended recipient is okay with using
lead-containing items it is a bad gift idea. And please do not do it
for a gift exchange where the recipients are random.

~Eve