[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Liam Gordon cenliamgordon2005 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 12:12:17 PDT 2010

Mornin' Everyone!

I'm probably going to step on a hornets nest here.  And for doing so, my
apologies.

Smoking...  *gasp*  I'm a smoker.  I tend to be a very considerate smoker.
I tend to walk away from groups of people and even get down wind from folks
if I can.  I even go so far as to ensure that if the event is being held
inside, I walk a distance away from the door to the building.

In other words, I am already away from the primary areas of the event.  I've
had people ask me to walk away from them a bit farther because they're
allergic to the smoke.  Ok, fine.  I don't have a problem with that.  Those
who have asked me in the past, I tend to remember them and don't smoke
around them.

But, when our events are outside, we don't smoke in the middle of court.
All the smokers that I know will go outside the fringe of court, usually a
good enough distance away but are still able to hear what's going on.  Most
of the smokers that I know also don't smoke right by the list field.
They'll go behind list field pavilions to a point far enough away that the
smoke won't bother folks but can still see the list.

I do understand that there are those smokers who aren't as considerate as
others.  That is where those of us who are considerate should take a moment
and help them out, guiding them to a more considerate position/spot.

What else can we do other than not smoking at the event?  If that is the
case, then maybe alcohol should be banned from events also (except those
alcohols that are entered into A&S competitions).

Just my two-pence,

Liam

 <snip>

> > Oh, and while we are at it, can we also address flash photography and
> > smoking in the primary areas of our events? I was somewhat disappointed
> at War of Ages to be sitting in a wonderful open barn structure only to
> be regularly blinded by flashes, when the area had been reasonably well lit
> with an indirect spotlight on the upper balcony.
> >
> > Haraldr

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit
materiari?