[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Zach Most clermont1348 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 13:34:52 PDT 2010

Appearance, particularly over such a wide range of time and place as we study,
is a difficult thing to legislate.  Atlantia's approach has gotten rid of some
of the most glaring issues and fostered a culture that values aesthetics to some
degree, though it's also created an Atlantian look which is not as much medieval
as it is "not-modern".    I don't fault them for wanting a concrete minimum bar
to jump, but I'd push it in a different direction: you should look like a
specific example from our time period.  Maybe their first attempt will look like
a kindergartener's scribble, maybe they haven't figured out how to hide their
leg armour in their viking kit yet, maybe they don't have the right gauntlets,
but it should be an attempt at making a specific rig.
  Cathal is right on many points.  We have to be the change we wish to  see in
the world.  Motivating with praise, rewards, by example and encouragement will
all help.  Creating more opportunity where your appearance matters can help a
great deal.  The 14th century deed at Gulf War has inspired me to improve my
harness because there armour is counted more like how armour functioned, and
it's appreciated by that crowd.

  To address Haraldr's points- we have more progress to make on the furniture
front than on any other.  Simple benches and 6 board chests aren't amazingly
difficult to make and they'd dramatically improve the look of our lyst fields.

  Gaston de Clermont