[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Fri Nov 5 12:40:23 PDT 2010

The first kingdom newsletter I read, in the seventies, had a letter from somebody who was quitting because the SCA was no longer what it used to be.  Don Quixote was about the lost knightly virtues; the Renaissance was a re-birth, trying to return to lost ideals; King Arthur was trying to hold back the encroaching barbarism; the Middle Ages wished for the glories of Rome; Rome mourned for the loss of the great Greek society, which pined for the lost Golden Age.

So, yes, things are worse than they were.  They are always worse than they were.  Meanwhile we have more excellent armor, more period pavilions, more authentic fighting, more period costumes, than we ever had before.  And most of the entries in kingdom A&S in the early eighties (including some winners) would, if entered today, cause the A&S minister to inform the artist that they really weren't good enough to be entered.

There are more authentic things to look at.
There are more modern things to look at.
There are more things to look at.

So look at the parts you're here for.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin