[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

uillecc uilliacc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 18:37:06 PDT 2010

The Renaissance was a regrettable consequence of the Florentine
invention of bookkeeping, which helped them manage the money they loaned
at double-digit interest to the merchants and speculators who took
advantage of their central Mediterranean location to buy and sell
commodities and goods raising many folks from humble origins to the
ranks of the Nouveau Riche,  which unfortunately was at odds with the
medieval notions that the good people were poor and pious and that this
world was meant as punishment in preparation for the heavenly realm.

These Nouveau Riche responded by looking for ways to make themselves
feel better about themselves.  Aiding the Greeks (not the ancient ones-
they were already beyond help) fend off the Turks seemed to offer the
opportunity  to protect  Christendom, and maybe make a little on the
side... While in Greece, they found lots of antiquities that could be
bought cheaply, and oh yeah... a bunch of musty, moldy rat-eaten old
books-- all of which they took back to Italy... When they studied these
books they found some interesting technical stuff and also information
about a pre-christian high culture in which men of means could be both
wealthy and well respected...  This inspired a man named Medieci and
others in his circle to want to recreate this high Roman culture....
Brunelleschi built a dome, re-invented geometric perspective, influenced
a young painter given the unfortunate name of Ugly Tom to paint frescoes
which took Italian painting from the near medieval Giotto to the
attention of a cantankerous quarrelsome stone-cutter/sculptor named
Buonarroti who never got to finish his masterwork of a tomb, because the
Pope made him paint all of the time.  Never the less, this Buonarroti
guy bridged the Renaissance to the High Renaissance and pre-staged the
era of the "imperfect pearl" with a phase that was derisively called
Mannerist....

The main High Idea of the Renaissance was maybe  "Greed is good"? and
"He who dies with the most toys wins"?  Austerity fell out of fashion,
posturing became the rage.....

History is all in how you look at the historical....

My cheek seems to have a tongue stuck in it....
uillecc