[Ansteorra] Correction on newsletter note

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 14:44:55 PDT 2010

At 03:43 PM 9/18/2010, you wrote:

>Back in the really old days Aurelian had the Palantir which was the
>only newletter I knew of in the area of Ansteorra that wasn't
>Stargate.this was before we became "Ansteorra".

As I recall, there was also a newsletter called "Gesta" put out by
some of the folks in Bjornsborg, and there was some discussion on
whether *it* would become the regional newsletter.

>  She turned the Palintir into Sable Star after the meeting in
> Austin where we got our name. and expanded it to cover the growing
> region. It became the Region's newsletter and Steppes started the
> Steppes letter.

I did some digging into our "old SCA newsletters" boxes. In the
envelope labelled "Region/Principality of Ansteorra" we have quite a
few copies of the "Black Star". The oldest is dated July AS 12 (which
would have been 1977) it says "Newsletter for the region of
Ansteorra, Lady Leah Kasmira of Natterhelm, Chronicler." Note that
it's called "Black Star" not "Sable Star."

>What year did you join? Does anyone remember the year of the
>Collegum that we decided on our name?

My first event was the Tournament of the Lost River in Bjornsborg,
Thanksgiving weekend of AS 10 (1975.) I'm pretty sure the Collegium
was in March of AS 11 (1977.)

>  Please forgive me about Black Star or Sable Star. I was confused
> then and I am still confused. I was left in the dust over Ansteorra
> or Ansteora or Ansteorrra. By the time I started to figure it out
> it was over. Who came up with the three r's.

The region was originally called Ansteorra (Old English for "Lone
Star"--this was before we had any groups in Oklahoma.) Our first
Prince, Sir Sean, decided that he liked "Ansteora" better, so it was
spelled that way for his reign. Prince Randall changed it back to
Ansteorra, and there was a fair bit of joking that Prince Simonn
would spell it "Ansteorrra".

If we'd kept up that tradition we'd now live in
Ansteorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra.

         -Tivar Moondragon