[Ansteorra] [Ansteorra-archery] keep-it-fun-advice-from-a-pre-renaissance-man

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu Sep 23 05:49:13 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 03:17:36PM -0500, Chris Zakes wrote:
> At 01:10 PM 9/22/2010, you wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:05:43AM -0700, Steve Scott (Dietrich) wrote:
> >>
> >http://wildcat.arizona.edu/wildlife/keep-it-fun-advice-from-a-pre-renaissance-man-1.1640716
> >>

> >> Cool archery gadget!!!
> >
> >Yes, indeed.
> >
> >Now, since electric motors and whatnot aren't exactly period, we need a
> >servant to do the work. Hmmmm ... something involving ropes, maybe?
>

> How about a crank with a long axle, and various oddly-shaped cams on
> it to make the "knaves" move up and down at unpredictable intervals?

That's a possibility, but that gives only vertical motion, and friction
could be a problem (use casters on the cam followers?). Attaching the
target post to another crank would give side-to-side motion as well as
vertical motion, and might end up being more easily packed when
disassembled.

The crankshaft would have to be downrange, though, which presents a
safety problem. Maybe a pavise for the operator? As a marshal, I'm not
sure I'd approve the arrangement. More thought is required.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO