[Ansteorra] Siege Weapons

Zach Most clermont1348 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 16:31:46 PDT 2011

Couldn't agree more with you, Bill.  A set of portable siege towers for our archers would be fantastic.  Do we have some engineers who are up for the challenge?
  A couple notes on this-

Check the rules thoroughly, and double check with Wayland before you sink a lot of time and cash into your designs.  These things change more often than I'd like.

We have storage space on site which we're using for the siege ramps we built this spring (from which many rained death on our foes).  It's a pretty rustic environment, essentially it's just some space back in the woods, so the ramps are wrapped two layers of tarps.  Each Gulf War the Trimarans spend about 40 man hours recovering their siege ramps from the ravages of a forlorn year in Mississippi.  Some of this time I believe is due to their choice to use the lighter, cheaper wood which is neither pressure nor chemically treated.  I chose to spend a little more coin on our ramps so I'm not committed to spending quite so much of my vacation repairing rotting wood.  We'll see if that's money well spent based on how they've fared in March.  You may go a similar route in your design choices.

There are several advantages to building siege works on site.  Foremost is that it obviates the need to transport them all the way there.  Despite our best intentions to build equipment during the year it takes an uncommon focus to get it to happen.  You're likely to have access to large and empty vehicles, and a conveniently named town of "Lumberton" nearby for supplies.   You also have some available labor which can make for a fun building party early in the war.  I recommend doing better than I did supplying them with booze.  The only real down side is that if the siege equipment lives at Gulf War we don't get to practice on it at any other time.

  Gaston