[Ansteorra] Largesse gifting

Robert G. Ferrell rgferrell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 10:58:59 PST 2011

On 2/4/2011 11:31 AM, Bree Flowers wrote:

> If we give them this option, we can't really get upset at them
> for choosing it. I just can't see how giving them gifts they won't use
> is doing them any favors.

We change the behaviors we can, and tolerate the ones we can't. If you
don't make the effort to change things, though, it is virtually
guaranteed that they won't change. Status quo has enormous momentum.

There are those veteran players who continue to dress less than
appropriately, yes, but there are also those of us who try our best not
to fall into this trap.  People must make their own choices whom they
will emulate; this we cannot change.  But we can at least provide them
with clearly demarcated alternatives when making this choice.

> Incidentally, I don't see why we can't legislate people to stop
> wearing wench bodices.

Successful legislation requires enforcement. Are you volunteering to be
the bodice police? I will warn you from experience that policy
enforcement is a long and tiring path to tread.

Cynric