[Ansteorra] Largesse gifting

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Fri Feb 4 11:03:59 PST 2011

Bree Flowers wrote:

>Incidentally, I don't see why we can't legislate people to stop
>wearing wench bodices. We stopped carpet armour and freon can helmets
>and there are rules coming into effect against hockey-glove-gauntlets
>in many Kingdoms. I'm not saying that we SHOULD do it, I'm just saying
>we CAN. (caps for emphasis, not yelling)

That depends on what you mean by "we". The Corpora says that anyone can attend if they make "an attempt at pre-seventeenth century clothing". This is a minimum standard for people who have not decided to take part in any particular SCA activity. There is deliberately no minimum standard for how good the attempt must be.  Step one in legislating costuming standards is changing the basis for the organization, on the corporate level. It would be an huge change in what the SCA has been doing for the last 45 years.

By contrast, each kingdom is required to set armor standards, which only apply to people who have agreed to be bound by those rules, in order to fight. Therefore any kingdom can refuse to allow freon can helmets or anything else *for use on the fighting field*. Setting armor standards isn't a change -- it's a continuation of what we have been doing for 45 years. In fact, freon can helmets were banned in Ansteorra in the 1970s.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin