[Ansteorra] armour materials, was Gauging interest for a Cut Test BBQ

Haraldr Bassi ansteorra at haraldr.drakkar.org
Wed Feb 16 10:12:09 PST 2011

Very interesting stuff. Not an area I've personally researched but your data does raise a
question in my mind... is it possible that the hardened steel was knowingly discontinued due to
a change in the types of weapons needing to defend against? I would expect hardened to resist
broad blade cutting much better, but would it also resist high speed blunt force impact (e.g.
musket ball)? What about small narrow thrusting areas (schlager and arrow tips)?

It just seems curious to see the entire continent discontinue something that had been only
recently implemented within a hundred years of each other.

Haraldr