[Ansteorra] armour materials, was Gauging interest for a Cut Test BBQ

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 13:12:28 PST 2011

At 12:12 PM 2/16/2011, you wrote:

>Very interesting stuff. Not an area I've personally researched but
>your data does raise a question in my mind... is it possible that
>the hardened steel was knowingly discontinued due to a change in the
>types of weapons needing to defend against? I would expect hardened
>to resist broad blade cutting much better, but would it also resist
>high speed blunt force impact (e.g. musket ball)? What about small
>narrow thrusting areas (schlager and arrow tips)?
>
>It just seems curious to see the entire continent discontinue
>something that had been only recently implemented within a hundred
>years of each other.
>
>Haraldr

Well... arrows have been around for a long time, so I'm not sure that
was a major factor. As for "schlager", I presume you mean rapiers? My
understanding is that they were generally used as civilian weapons,
against unarmored oponents. If they *were* used against an armored
opponent, you'd probably be better off trying to put the point
through chinks in the armor--say at the neck or armpit--rather than
trying to punch through plate.

         -Tivar Moondragon

"From the point of view of an arrow, chain mail can be thought of as
a series of loosely connected holes."

                 -Terry Pratchett, "Lords and Ladies"