[Ansteorra] Rapier Armor Question

Pat Mullins paedrics at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 16:39:58 PST 2011

not to mention a hit directly on the zipper might hurt !

--- On Sun, 2/27/11, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:

Well... that depends on the linen. You'll want to get a sample of the
fabric tested by a marshal with a drop-tester after it's been washed
a few times but *before* you start any sewing so you don't end up
with a lovely new outfit with a small hole in it.

I like this approach
>for the convienence it offers, I could change the outer look of my
>armor easily, and provide a more secure closure, in the form of a
>zipper on the undergarment.

Well... bear in mind that cotehardies went out of fashion about a
century *before* rapiers were developed. If that doesn't bother you,
then there's no reason not to go with the style you've described.

You might want to consider making the undergarment a single layer and
the cotehardie or tunic of however many additional layers are
necessary to pass. That way you can take off the outer garment to
cool off, but still be covered.

>I'm mostly curious if anyone is using the above approach, and if so,
>how it's working out for them.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andrewe Bawldwyn

My rapier armor is a single layer shirt and three layers in the
doublet. I've used that technique for the last <sounds of thumping
and bumping from the closet> five doublets I've made, so roughly
twenty years. Yes, it works.

         -Tivar Moondragon