[Ansteorra] Very interesting story on concussions

Alianorra MacAiodh alianorramacaiodh at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 17:42:50 PST 2011

Normally I dont get in the middle of these. However I really feel I must add my two cents.

Getting hit in the head by some of the fighters we have can often be compared to an automobile accident. You have a driving force hitting another driving force and then a sudden stop when both moving forces meet. Basics of physics.

So Im going to remind you heavy fighters of one very crucial part that most people forget when it comes to automobile accidents. There are three collisions going on in an auto accident, the vehicle hitting whatever, the person hitting the seatbelt and possible airbag, and the internal organs hitting the interior of the body.

In relation to heavy fighting it goes thus. Your helmet being hit by a weapon, your head ringing that padding, and your brain moving to hit the interior of the skull. Three collisions. And it sometimes doesn't matter how much padding you have inside that helm your brain matter is still gonna move inside your head. And a concussion can happen.

I believe fighters should watch out for each other and keep in mind even if they trip over their shoelaces and hit the ground hard everything in the body moves and can cause trouble later in life. Am I saying that armoring standards should change? No, but concussions do build on each other and the more you have the more likely you will have serious damage later in life.

Stepping off soapbox.

Alia