[Ansteorra] Duchess Willow needs cat help

Leslie Snipes lesdsnipes at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 18:05:49 PDT 2011

Great Lady, Please forgive me but I've forgotten what part of Oklahoma you're in and would like to reach out to some friends who might be able to find homes for your kitties.

I hope all of you will forgive me taking a bit of bandwidth here...
The animal rights activists are more active than ever and OK and TX are hotbeds of activity.  Despite publicity to the contrary, the activists do not primarily target people like Vick and dog fighting.  Their primary target is a far more average owner of animals and seizures/forfeitures are done quietly across the country every day.  I have seen someone with as few as 4 animals accused of "hoarding".

If one is so unlucky as to have their animal seizure publicized, they will likely end up in several on-line databases and forever be tagged as "hoarders" and "abusers" and there are movements and pending legislation for animal abuse databases similar to the sex abuser database which, if you've paid attention, often includes young adults who had the misfortune of turning "of age" before their sweetheart did.  The animal abuse registry will similarly include those who simply do not belong in it.

What Duchess Willow is experiencing is only unusual in that she's getting the opportunity to place her animals herself and I'm sure talking the SPCA into that was NO easy task.  Here in Texas, the activists generally show up with animal control and someone from Adult Protective Services.  They ask the animal owner to "surrender" ownership under threat of being locked up for a psychological evaluation.  If you live alone, that means they are going to take your animals for want of care.  They primarily target older animal owners (especially women), usually seize all animals, hold a forfeiture hearing in under 10 days before a JP, summarily forfeit the animals to the activist group (which is then free to kill or sell them), and then criminal charges (sometimes felony charges) are filed.

If you're thinking "cat lady", STOP.  They target owners of all animals: dogs, cats, horses, donkeys, ferrets, turtles, livestock... oh, and especially those who own more exotic animals like birds of prey or big cats.  They prey upon those who cannot defend themselves.

I blogged on this rather steadily under my pseudonym for about a year at http://pjboosinger.jigsy.com/

If you own animals and think you, the owner, is the one in a better position to make decisions for your animals than complete strangers who will seize them, stuff them in cages and likely kill them if they are beyond puppy/kitty cute stage; if you believe that property rights underpin the freedom of this country; then I would suggest that animal law is a subject you should learn at least a bit about.  If you own more than 5 animals, I would suggest you need to learn a lot and fast.

I will now step off my soapbox and ask that those who have an interest and want more information check out my blog a bit and then contact me at PJBoosinger at yahoo.com

If you can help Duchess Willow find even temporary accommodations for her cats while ongoing efforts for permanent placement continue, PLEASE do so.  I know enough about this issue to fear for all her cats, her and her family.

Pandora