[Ansteorra] Titles

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 15:56:03 PDT 2011

At 04:26 PM 7/4/2011, Detlef von Marburg wrote:

>Quite correct. If you look at the award constitutions, you'll find that none
>of the charters entitles a Companion of Arms (someone with a grant-bearing
>award) to use the title "Honorable Lord" or "Honorable Lady". The charter
>for the Order of the White Scarf of Ansteorra explicity confers upon the
>recipients of that award the title "Don/Doña", and the charter for the Order
>of the Centurions of the Sable Star also explicitly confers upon the
>recipients of that award the title "Centurion," to be used before their
>given names in forms of address and after their full names in titles.

That's not precisely correct. Quoting from the
respective constitutions of the orders,

For the White Scarf: It shall be recognized
tradition in Ansteorra to address members of the Order as "Don" or "Doña."

For the Centurion: It shall be recognized
tradition in Ansteorra to address members of the Order as “Centurion.”

I wouldn't say that a "recognized tradition" is
*quite* the same thing as a law, or explicit conferral.

         -Tivar Moondragon