[Ansteorra] How to Trap a Laurel

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Wed Jul 27 14:55:23 PDT 2011

greetings

thank you duchess willow for reminding me why I very very rarely enter arts
and sciences competitions, or displays.
there was a time in the sca when the craftsmanship and documentation were
the main judging points on an entry.
but as the laurels have changed so have the " rules " for entry and judging
, so that now instead of craftsmanship, they promote salesmanship .
with some judging forms I have seen giving more credit to display , than to
workmanship.
also , since what I traditionally make are " sca " items, and not " period
items" , the value of my work is again " devalued ", even though I know much
of how my medium was worked  in " period " ( yes I'm still learning, and
trying new aspects of that knowledge, but not one of the award regalia's,
bard books, etc.that I have made and given to groups / people, have ever had
a laurel ( or anyone else for that matter ) come up and say " hhmm you could
have done that better " or " have you tried xxx "  )
my work and my documentation ( yes I know my documentation skills bite )
should speak for themselves.
 it shouldn't take boards, blocks, shiny material, ribbons, balloons,  a
juggler and semi naked dancing girls , to get a laurel to come look at my
work, since that has nothing to do with the quality or accuracy of my work
.and is indeed a distraction, from my work .
anyway , just my opinion , but I've heard others give the same reason for
not entering a & s competitions.

have fun at the event , finances won't allow me to go look at peoples work :
(
Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur