[Ansteorra] How to Trap a Laurel

Zach Most clermont1348 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 15:55:17 PDT 2011

A few things I'd like to be sure are clear- Laurel's Prize isn't a competition.  It's a chance to get constructive feedback on your craft, and geek out with other folks who love the things you do.

   I invite you to explore the judging forms here: http://laurel.ansteorra.org/  which we use for things like Kingdom Arts and Sciences (NOT Laurel's Prize.)  In the static arts form there are points for methods/techniques, materials, complexity, workmanship/skill, and presentation/overall impression.  So the lion's share of the focus is clearly on the entry itself and how the documentation supports it, rather than any kind of salesmanship.  My own perspective as a baby laurel of the kingdom- a spartan display is perfectly fine.  People should be able to see and appreciate your work, and I get it that many appreciate seeing little images of your progress, or the context in which the piece might be created or used.  I'd be thinking of it more like a museum display than a fru-fru window display at a boutique.  The documentation can provide images of the creation process and explain how it was used.  Think of it this way- even the Mona Lisa is in
 a nice frame, but she's not surrounded by candy, scented candles and fancy fabric.
  All that said, I'm not opposed to semi-naked dancing girls.

  I don't think I'm betraying any confidences when I say the laurels as a group are concerned with the space of SCA specific items.  Calligraphy and illumination, and award regalia are things we want to encourage, and see as an important part of society culture.   It can be difficult to judge with our standard forms if the items aren't constructed with period methods, or materials.  We try to have judges who have walked the same path before you wherever we can to make it as fair to you as possible.  They have a feel for how hard certain materials are to work, or how much those tools cost.

  We're also not solely focused on competitions.  They're just one way to show off your work that works for some folks and not for others.  If the best way to present your award regalia is to have it hang beneath a smiling face of a new recipient then it sounds like you're doing something great for your kingdom, your craft and your friends.

  Gaston de Clermont