[Ansteorra] How to Trap a Laurel

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 28 20:00:48 PDT 2011

________________________________
From: Zach Most <clermont1348 at yahoo.com>

Wihtric,
  Yours is a tough art to compete with as a static display, but there are some good ways to show it off.  Try it as a performance piece.

[Wihtric]  Then that would be a whole other thing to conquer anxiety-wise. :)

[Gaston]  Read a passage in Old English, then your translation.  It can't be very long, since the first part will mostly be interesting for the foreign sounds of the words, but your audience will get no content.  Or you could have someone help you out by providing subtitles on cards for the audience.  If you could do a play like that it could be a riot.

[Wihtric]  I have actually had the idea to translate and do a performance of Ælfric's Colloquoy on Occupations.  It is his Old English translation of a Latin original, but essentially it is a teacher figure asking students what their jobs in society are, for example:

 "Summe synt yrþlincgas, sume scephyrdas, sume oxanhyrdas, sume eac swylce huntan, sume fisceras, sume fugleras, sume cypmenn, sume scewyrhtan, sealteras, bæceras."

 Now this serves as a good example of how much Old English people know if they just here it first, even if the meaning does not line up with modern usage:

 "Some are earthlings (farmers), some shepherds, some oxenherds, some also [as] such hunters, some fishers, some fowlers, some cheapmen (originally sellers of goods), some shoewrights ('work', 'wright' as in 'wainwright', and 'wrought' coming from the same verb), salters, bakers."

 So I have considered such a thing, with pictures of major nouns as I go.  Still thinking about it.  Also right now I am really into Anglo-Saxon charters and letters/diplomas/writs/etc.  I hope to have a number of examples for show at Artisan.  Well see what time will allow for.

Gódspéde!
Wihtric