[Ansteorra] Slings and things

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 29 15:28:38 PDT 2011

On Jul 29, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Sher M wrote:
> Lots of information, have already got a magnetic cat design worked
> out in my head (told you I was going to steal that idea).  So now I
> want my own trebuchet and/or catapult.  I'll just use the sling and
> foam missles to chase squirrels and stray critters out of my yard.
> Doesn't mean I've quit thinking about slings just that now I'm
> considering all the great and logical information given to me.

Perhaps this file in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium might be of
interest:
siege-engines-msg (98K) 1/10/08 Catapults, trebuchets. Period and
modern.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/siege-engines-msg.html

Fustibalus-art (10K) 10/26/08 "How To Throw Rocks Really Far: A
Fustibalus
" by Jehanne de Wodeford
.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/Fustibalus-art.html

I forgot that I had this file. A fustibalus is a staff-sling and they
were used at Pennsic 28 in a battle. This article does have some info
on that, as well as more on period use of staff slings.

And if you want a real challenge on getting something authorized for
SCA combat use, see this file:
pottery-wepns-msg (6K) 12/21/99 Period use of pottery in weapons.

(Effectively period hand grenades)

> Lady Runa of The Thundering Herd
> Barony of Raven's Fort
> Knight Marshal