[Ansteorra] painting fencing masks

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Tue Mar 29 16:00:48 PDT 2011

A personal armorer could resolve these issues, of course.

Fact is we are playing a game that was played by very rich men in period and
few of us have such resources. We have to be smarter and/or have more
do-it-yourself ability to get what we need.

That said, I would like to see more helms on the field, especially for
melee. When discussing engagement issues on point that comes up repeatedly
is that many people --including some doctors-- feel the back of the head is
insufficiently armored to be taking shots there. Nonetheless, accidents
happen, there are some circumstances where such a hit is legal and in
tournament (one on one) the back of the head is  a totally legal (though
rare) target.

I wish we could get everyone switched over in the next couple of years but I
recognize that it is not that simple. OTOH the more rapier helms we buy the
simpler and cheaper it will become to get one.

I have a mask I use mostly for drills. I painted a mustache and eye patch on
it to play the part of captain somebody for a scenario. My opinion on
painting is that it can help set the mood or play the part. Stupid and
distracting choices here are similar to stupid and distracting costumes.

Christian Doré