[Ansteorra] painting fencing masks

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 01:53:06 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Duncan Hepburn <duncan at stormypetrel.org> wrote:
> I like a good period kit as much as the next person... almost as much as I
> like playing devil's advocate. >=)
>
> A few points:
>
> - The cost difference is much greater when you consider that these folks
> *already* own the fencing masks, so the cost isn't mask vs. helm, it's paint
> vs. helm.

Or paint vs not paint. Some of us feel that paint just serves to call
attention to something really modern. I can overlook modern things
left in their natural form, but find that colorful attempts to hide or
disguise them often *makes* me notice it. I'd give examples of some of
the things I've seen over the years that I found really jarring, but
I'd hate for people to take it as inspiration.

If expense is your only concern, I'd argue that my "don't paint it"
option is in fact the least expensive :)

~Eve