[Ansteorra] painting fencing masks

alex78901 at aol.com alex78901 at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 11:57:59 PDT 2011

 My understanding is that the faceplate of the fencing mask is "assumed to not be there", so painting your fencing mask would be the equivalent of painting the design/heraldry on your face.

I would think that people running about with animals or faces painted on their faces would have been looked upon as a little out of place in period.

Alex

Greetings,

The subject of painting modern fencing masks used for SCA rapier combat has come up recently on the Trimaris list. The idea is apparently to paint a "face, an animal, of a helm" on the grill of the mask.  One of the strong points of SCA vs. the LARP groups has been the ability to look for period examples and "see what they did", but I don't know that there are any equivalents.

I would be interested in hearing if this is done in your area and any opinions or ideas, pro or con, on this subject.

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com