[Ansteorra] Camp Fee Decision

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 15:43:44 PDT 2011

"As with any community, there are rules, both written and implied."

And in most communities, the community has decided how to make those rules. In our country, for instance, we vote on the rules, including whether or not we want to pay taxes to attempt to educate the populace. In other countries, only the leader votes, including whether or not and how much to tax the people. In both cases, the rules are created in a certain process.

It seems that the question here isn't whether or $7 is alot of money, whether or not it's going to a worthy cause, or anything else like that. The question that seems to have arisen is whether or not this decision - to charge a camp fee for everyone camping on Ansteorran land, to be paid before you set up camp - was made properly.

So it seems that's where we're at right now. Who made this decision, and under what authority did they do so? Right now, it looks like a few people - the people involved in the
running of the camp - were the only people involved in the discussion
and subsequent decision. Is this correct? If not, how did this decision come about? Either way, did it come about the proper way, according to our rules and customs? Or is this the equivalent of my Mayor standing up and announcing a new city ordinance without going through the City Council?

In addition, there seems to be some question of whether or not this fee really is required. The wording of the original e-mail and the website implies that it is, but other people have stated that it is not. So is this a required fee or a suggested donation?

Personally, I'm neutral, especially since I have no idea how this decision was made or whether or not it was made properly and I always forget to pack trash bags, anyway. :)

-Rose the Obnoxious