[Ansteorra] Camp fee what to do about it

Ysabeau ysabeau.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:10:15 PDT 2011

I can tell you this...I have no desire to hand out wristbands so I can
determine on the field who has chipped in to provide waterbearing supplies
for Ansteorran fighters and who hasn't. I don't have the funds to provide
these free of charge for everyone. I also don't think it is fair to ask a
few people to cover the cost for all.  (Waterbearing isn't part of your
Pennsic site fee, btw, but Ansteorra provides it for our fighters and is
paid for from the camp fee.)

 As a Pennsic-goer, I fully support the site fee. I've noticed that most of
the people throwing a fit about this either have not been
to Pennsic recently, have never been to Pennsic, and/or have no plans to go
to Pennsic in the near future. To me, that means you have no dog in this
fight. The opinions that matter are the opinions of the people who attend
Pennsic and know what a difference having the infrastructure makes on the
Pennsic experience.

 The fee is for all of the things that most of us take for granted at any
event...trash cans with trash bags, Gott coolers filled with ice water for
anyone who is thirsty, gatorade, oranges, and pickles for the Ansteorran
fighters and their guests on the field, propane for the hot shower that is
shared between 85 people instead of 500, fuel for the tiki torches and
batteries for the lanterns, etc. None of these items are part of
your Pennsic site fee and it is only through the generosity of Master Cynric
and Mistress Seraphina and individual donations that there hasn't been a fee
before now. If your issue is that they are being provided in the first
place, then please don't take advantage of the opportunity to be part of the
Ansteorran Pennsic Community. The Ansteorran Pennsic Community feels that it
is a better place with these things.

As for your freedom of choice being removed, I disagree. You can choose to
sign the waiver or show your blue card to get into an event. If you don't,
then you don't get to play. You can choose to pay the site fee or not. If
you don't, you don't go to the event. You can't say "I don't need to pay the
site fee because I won't drink the water/gatorade, I won't eat any pickles
or oranges, I will leave before dark so I don't need the torches, I'm not a
fighter so I won't use the list ropes, or I brought my own trash bag so I
won't use the trash cans." These things are there for everyone whether you
choose to partake of them or not...they are available for use. They are part
of the event infrastructure. I don't see this as being any different.

The community area is part of the infrastructure. Some of it is paid by
the kingdom but the things that make it a nice place to gather is what makes
it a pleasant place for Ansteorrans and our friends from other kingdoms to
gather. The Ansteorran Chili Party is hosted under the tent. Court is held
under the tent. Spontaneous arts and sciences classes break out because
there is a place for them. Fighters discuss strategy and tell No $hit There
I Was stories while waiting for a hot shower.  In the morning, fighters
muster and A&S folks plan their day of classes. When returning from a night
out, Ansteorrans gather to talk, drink, and hang out. It is the great hall
and makes the camp a community. It doesn't matter where you are camped, you
are always welcome there. As good hosts, the Ansteorran community provides
these things for our guests from other kingdoms while the Crown negotiates
treaties and develops relationships with other royals. I would hope you
consider yourself part of the Ansteorran family, not a guest in the
Ansteorran hall. Being a member of the family does carry a bit more
responsibility than being a guest.

As with any community, there are rules, both written and implied. Stop at
red lights. No campfires when there is a fire ban. Don't throw your trash on
the ground. Pick up after yourself. If you smoke, stand downwind of
non-smokers. Pay a site fee to cover the infrastructure. In this case it is
called a camp fee. If you want to be a part of the Ansteorran Pennsic
Community, why would you feel it is an imposition to be required to
contribute? I am proud to be Ansteorran and I will pay my camp fee to be
part of the Ansteorran Pennsic Community.

Ysabeau of Prague