[Ansteorra] opinion

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Nov 10 09:28:59 PST 2011

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, Viviana Rowntree <tinygypsylady at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a former HR person for a larger Tech company and someone who did
> sourcing for a Financial institution, keep in mind it should be
> specific to the position you are looking for.
>
> Resumes more than 3 pages are typically too long.  A resume with
> more than 1/2 a page or less of hobbies would not be considered at
> first glance either.

As an aside, there is a lot of good and free advice for job searchers
at Workforce Solutions, a private, publicly-funded non-profit
organization.  (Huh, I thought they were part of the Texas Workforce
Commission.)  They have a couple of classes on resume construction.
(Note: at the north location, there's more info than they can fit in
one class, so they continue it in the negotiating class as well.)
You can also find pointers to resume review sessions.  The one I went
to, I sat down with peers to critique each others' resumes.

There are a lot of tips and factors to consider.

As I understand it, longer resumes should be reserved for older people
who have more valuable experience to list.  Also, targeting for the
company is indeed good.

Dannet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com