[Ansteorra] Same-Sex Consorts

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 22:57:29 PDT 2011

Well, this is my point of view, which makes it the point of view of a lady (and even a Lady!) but not the point of view of all ladies (or Ladies). :P

Logically speaking, taking
an action that purposefully and exclusively removes restrictions on a specific
subset of individuals does not arbitrarily create restrictions on another
(albeit much larger) subset of individuals. If we lowered the minimum age for
being a Seneschal to 17, that doesn't mean we are unfairly creating a
disadvantage for potential Seneschals 18 and above, just because we're
increasing the available pool of candidates.

More importantly, as a
woman, I can never be represented by inequality and thus, am not currently
represented by our Kings and Queens. You see,
I'm not solely a woman. I'm a gay woman and a brown woman and a mother and so
on. I am an intersection of these things, and I accept inequality for none of
them. Further, even if I were solely a woman, and not brown or gay or a mother,
I wouldn't want the kind of representation that comes at the expense of
equality.

And, of course, there
remains the fact that we have very few women with the impetus to win Crown
Tourney, and even fewer that have same-sex consorts that also want to reign. If
we build it, maybe no one will come and nothing will change, but we will still
be a better society for providing that opportunity.

Lady Rose the Obnoxious

I know that you believe you understand what you think I meant, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I wrote.