[Ansteorra] Same-Sex Consorts

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 22:39:28 PDT 2011

"I know several powerhouse groups, in several kingdoms.  These groups do
not always win Crown now because someone is either unable to find a
consort, the consort (wife, girlfriend, etc) does not want to rule; or
that fighter never really thought about it."

That all seems very unlikely. How many Crowns have we had that have ruled with persons that they were not romantically involved with? If finding someone to rule with you is that hard, then there is likely some other issue at play.

"Bill fights for Gene who fights for Ray who fights for Tom who fights
for Phil who fights for Kelly who fights for Bob who fights for Tim who
fights for Mark who fights for Al who fights for Bill."

I've met quite a few powerhouse fighters, but none that would participate in this type of scheme. If I were Sir Bill, Sir Gene, Sir Ray, Sir Tom. Sir Phil, Sir Kelly, Sir Bob, Sir Tim, Sir Mark, Sir Al, or the knight who had spoken for any of them, I would be pretty offended at the idea that I might participate in such a scheme.

"That is 10
fighters who are amazing fighters, and normally would not compete for
whatever reason.  But now, to keep their group in power; they each chose one as a consort.  At the next Crown tournament, the same group (minus
the ruling pair) do the same."

The solution to this is simple. The first Crown looks at the Letters of Intent for Sir Bill, Sir Gene, Sir Ray, Sir Tom. Sir Phil, Sir Kelly, Sir Bob, Sir Tim, Sir Mark, and Sir Al and politely declines them leave to enter the list, as any of our honorable Crowns would do.

"Not only does this link one powerhouse
into the Throne for years to come, but wives, girlfriends and other
significant others are unable to rule with their partners because the
group decided it is better to win over and over than to honor the
relationship."

Again, the big problem I see with this scenario is that the fighters that are good enough to win are too honorable to participate in this kind of scheme, especially because it would be obvious to everyone. I mean, can you imagine what the procession would look like, lol?

And, of course, we already have ways to 'game the system'. One way would be for two 'superdukes' to leapfrog one another, which they can do right now. Another way would be for a small number of dukes to enter the list with the intention of beating the entrant that they don't want to rule, and then ducalling out. (Of course, one might call the latter scenario a quiet sort of 'check-and-balance', rather than 'gaming the system', but I digress.) My point is that IE is not going to make the system any more susceptible to dishonorable superdukes, or those who would like to be dishonorable superdukes.

-R

I know that you believe you understand what you think I meant, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I wrote.