[Ansteorra] ransoming

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 28 23:34:42 PDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 6:25 PM, Jean Paul de Sens wrote:

> Stefan, I've done several deeds that had Ransoms, the battle of the
> 30,
> Deeds at Gulf Wars, private deeds of arms with brother knights.

How do "private deeds of arms with brother knights" differ from ohter
marshal activities in the SCA? I guess, I'm not sure by what you mean
by this.

> In general, the idea is to make the item valuable via it's
> significance, not
> it's cost.

Can  you give some examples?  This may get around some of the concern
that I and others have about expensive, whether donated or bought,
prizes for SCA combat.

>  Also, the deeds were ransoms are given and taken usually have,
> ahem, expanded rule sets which encourage a higher level of violence
> to begin
> with.

How do you mean a "higher level of violence"?

> That intensity level can be very welcome for limited activities, and
> usually
> most participants are aware of the difference between these deeds and
> standard tournaments or melees.  Finally, the participation in the
> deed
> itself tends to be the reward, not the ransoms.
>
> Jean Paul

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------