[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts‏

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 16:52:15 PDT 2011

At 09:29 AM 10/30/2011, you wrote:

>That is how you see it Robin. That is not the view of others
>however. A King or Queen can rule on their own. If we have 2 Kings
>or 2 Queens then there should be no less of a royal presence. So
>what if this is about gay people? Gay people have been around
>forever. This is about creating a game where everyone is welcome.
>You totally missed the point of non period items being allowed in to
>an event. What we do is not real. These are not the middle ages and
>we do not fight to see who will be king. This whole discussion, in
>my opinion, has gone on way too long. If 2 people of the same sex
>want to run for a crown, let them. What will it hurt? Will it hurt
>how you play the SCA?

I'm not sure if "hurt" is quite the right word, but it would
certainly *affect* the way I play in the SCA, for that reign. I'm a
rapier fighter and a White Scarf. For me, Queen's Champion is the
most important tournament in the kingdom. Ansteorra's Queen's
Champion Touranment is unique in the SCA--an entire day devoted to
Her Majesty, where the King takes a very definite back seat. Talk to
Her Majesty, or some of the Ladies of the Rose about how special that day is.

Most other kingdoms have some kind of Queen's Champion--sometimes
it's the person who came in second in Crown Tourney, sometimes it's
someone the Queen picks, some kingdoms have a King's and Queen's
armored and/or rapier champion--but nobody else dedicates an entire
event to the pleasure of Her Majesty.

And yes, we could, concievably, have a Consort's Champion rapier
tournament, but trust me, it wouldn't be the same.

         -Tivar Moondragon