[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consortsâ€

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 17:52:38 PDT 2011

A chivalric tournament really is the best way to select a successor that we
have access to. Biological descent is not available to us. Considering what
was expected of kings in period, we would want the most capable warrior to
lead us into battle. Even the elections of the migration period were
designed to choose the most capable warrior (kings were normally chosen
only during times of war). The election of French kings and Holy Roman
Emperors later in period was often hotly contested, and the chosen
King/Emperor often had to assert his right not only by his election, but
also by the strength of his arm.

I've seen the suggestion made that a monarch be chosen by an
arts-and-sciences competition once a year, and then by chivalric tournament
the other time. But really??? I hope this doesn't sound rude, but do we
really want the most capable artisan leading us in war instead of the most
capable warrior?

Detlef

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:

> At 01:46 PM 10/29/2011, you wrote:
>
> Which brings up a whole other can of worms in that if we are going to toss
>> gender roles on their heads for modern sensibility, then why shouldn't half
>> of our Crowns be done so by election instead of combat,
>>

> I see enough political campaigning in the mundane world. I *really* don't
> want to see it in the SCA as well.
>

> essentialy a Peace Crown, for the non-campaign winter months,
>>

> Um... isn't Gulf War in the winter months?
>
>        -Tivar Moondragon

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!