[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consortsâ€

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Oct 30 18:16:53 PDT 2011

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011, HerrDetlef <herrdetlef at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen the suggestion made that a monarch be chosen by an
> arts-and-sciences competition once a year, and then by chivalric
> tournament the other time. But really??? I hope this doesn't sound
> rude, but do we really want the most capable artisan leading us in
> war instead of the most capable warrior?

To be precise, the one who showed himself to have the most prowess in
SINGLE combat one day leads and orders an army of HUNDREDS ... I defer
to those with experience to answer whether the best SCA generals are
invariably dukes or at least counts.  I suspect not.  And haven't our
kings in recent years, despite being the best single &c, haven't they
chosen generals anyway?

I would also like to note that SCA wars are actually nothing of the
kind.  No land is gained, no loot in taken, no person is killed
(ideally), even no real hard feelings in general.  It's actually a
grand tourney with no consequences.

So I note with sardonic amusement the quoted indignation that someone
who isn't The Most Proficient Solo Fighter might have to select a
leader in an activity that has no practical effect, with complete
acceptance of someone whose major qualification is being The Most
Proficient Solo Fighter selecting officers and peers in areas in which
he may have little or no knowledge or interest, which DOES have
long-term effects.

Danihel Lindecolina, sniffing the pot and giving the bunnies a quick
stir
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com