[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts‏

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:30:19 PDT 2011

Yes. Read Gregory of Tours' "History of the Franks" and Einhard's "Life of
Charlemagne." On more than one occasion during the early period of the
Frankish kingdom, the kingship was divided between or among men. They were
often brothers. Charlemagne, indeed, shared the kingship with his brother
Carloman until the latter's death, and Charlemagne's three grandsons shared
the kingship (although the kingdom was split into three territories at that
time) after the death of their father, Louis the Pious.

Henry II had his son Henry crowned king while the former was still alive--a
practice that did not come without historical precedent. So, at at least one
time in English medieval history, that nation had two kings. The Young King
did not live to inherit the sole kingship, as he died about three years
before his father.

The Roman imperial dignity was shared between two men for much of the last
centuries of the Western Roman empire--one emperor sitting in Rome, the
other sitting in Constantinople. This shared dignity, and the necessity for
imperial proclamations to be issued by both emperors, led to the subsequent
practice of the "royal plural," by which a single monarch would address
himself or herself in the third person. Indeed, the conventions of English
usage dictated that, while most people would be addressed with the
second-person-singular pronounx "thou" and "thee," monarchs would be
addressed with the second-person-plural pronoun "ye" and "you." Liberal
ideals of the enlightment later suggested that "what is good enough for the
king is good enough for the common man," and eventually all people were
addressed with the second-person-plural "you."

I anticipate that someone might point out that these relationships were
never sexual, to which I say, neither are the relationships that gay men who
win the Crown in the SCA have with their female consorts. The current King
and Queen of Ansteorra, neither of whom is gay, are not each other's
significant other. Since the SCA does not follow the mundane requirement
that two or more people who share a royal dignity be legally related, the
legal relationship between monarch and consort cannot be considered at all.

Just my meagre opinion.

Yours in these Current Middle Ages,
Detlef von Marburg

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Holly Decker <hdec333 at aol.com> wrote:

>  Is this supported Historically?
> Anna

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!