[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts‏

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sat Oct 29 19:25:23 PDT 2011

Totally irrelevant tangent #1:

"quirkybird", Dylan Meconis, did a 21st Century version of the Dance
Macabre at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quirkybird/5239678796/in/set-72157625545258050/
If you view the sequence, read the captions underneath.

The rest of this is about Henry II of England, one example that was
proffered by HerrDetlef.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011, HerrDetlef <herrdetlef at gmail.com> wrote:
> Henry II had his son Henry crowned king while the former was still
> alive--a practice that did not come without historical
> precedent. So, at at least one time in English medieval history,
> that nation had two kings.

Leaving aside disputed successions, exactly once.

I would like to note that it was not co-rule, any more than it was for
the Capetian kings who had their heirs crowned in their lifetime.  The
young idiot Henry got nothing by it.

The French purpose was to prevent any disputes about the succession or
coronation.  Henry II may have been aping French practice.  But it's
more telling that he had it done by the Archbishop of York -- his main
purpose was to insult the rights of Thomas Becket, Archbishop of
Canterbury, the which abp. who had traditionally crowned English kings.
AND, since Henry had Henry's wife deliberately delayed at Caen, it was
probably an insult to her father, the king of France, to cause him to
move Becket to a settlement.  And indeed it was the thing that forced
Becket to a "compromise" (which Thomas promptly violated, but that's
another rant).

Anyway, Henry II was very strict about not giving his wife or the
younger Henry significant lands, money, or power; Henry the Young King
got nothing from his crowning, which was a major reason for his
setting off the Great Rebellion of 1173.  Henry II only gradually gave
his other sons control of lands and revenues.

Daniel de Lindo Colonia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com