[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts‏

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 21:10:25 PDT 2011

How many queens in period were joint rulers with their husbands? Queens in
period had a much different role than do queens in the Current Middle Ages.

Without looking at any references, can you name the wife of every king in
period (or even out of period) that you know by name? Who was Alfred the
Great's wife? Charlemagne's? Otto I's? Frederick Barbarossa's? Hugh Capet's?
How about the spouse of Henry I of England? Wenceslas of Bohemia? Treating
women in the SCA in the same way that women were treated in period is
unconscionable. A queen's duty in period was nothing more than to produce an
heir. Can a king in the Current Middle Ages annul his queen before the end
of his reign? Wouldn't they both have to step down? How many kings in period
abdicated their thrones so that they could annul their wives?

Detlef

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Adam R Thompson <adam.r.thompson1 at gmail.com