[Ansteorra] Tourney formats?

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 16:29:57 PDT 2011

At 02:21 PM 10/30/2011, you wrote:
>Daniel asked:
>
> >"Preliminary" bear pit?  Is there a page anywhere that describes the
> >different tournament formats that have been used in the SCA?
>
>Goodness, no. I doubt if there is a single person who can identify
>the formats of the first Queen's Champion, second Crown, first
>Kingdom Warlord, House Fallowmoon fencing challenge, the fencing
>tourney at Steppes Warlord VI, Tournament of Chivalry, Ruffian's
>Tourney, and Queen's Nice.
>
>(I don't know how Queen's Nice was fought, but I know the others -
>and I am probably the only one who does. Maybe Tivar.)
>
>Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

I don't remember precisely how Queen's Nice* was run. I *do* remember
that part of it was an armored footrace--you were required to wear or
carry your sword and helm--so I brought my fencing mask and a foil. I
didn't win (I'm a lousy runner) but it was amusing nonetheless.

         -Tivar Moondragon
                 Ansteorra

*The second Tournament of the Queen's Grace, held in Bjornsborg on
Thanksgiving Weekend of AS 12 (1977) back when we were still part of
Atenveldt. #1 acquired the nickname "Queen's Ice" because of the cold
front and hard freeze that happened on Saturday and #3 was called
Queen's Flood because of the rainstorm and subsequent flooding and
evacuation that happened on Saturday night/Sunday morning. After
that, we didn't hold that tournament any more.<G>